Why are you using your speciffic laptop/OS

1) which kind of machine do you use? | 2) What kind of OS do you use?

1) Tablet
No votes
1) Tablet/Laptop hybrid
No votes
1) Low Voltage Laptop
No votes
1) Average Laptop
15%
1) Powerful Laptop
25%
2) OS X
15%
2) Linux
25%
2) Windows
20%

Total votes: 20

Topic author

Jakob

Why are you using your speciffic laptop/OS

Post by Jakob » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:21 am

I have noticed that most people in our field are either using Apple (mac book pro / air) or a laptop with a Linux distribution (Usually Ubuntu LTS or Arch Linux). Occasionally I see a Windows Machine, usually these new semi-tablet computers. For some reason I associate this with people who are also doing wetlab work.

Since OS is very much personal experience and preference, you kind of learn to work with that, but for the high vs low voltage, I imagine this boiling down to working much locally vs remotely.

I am curious to hear what you chose, and why you ended up with your current setup, eg. do you connect to docking station with multiple monitors, or do you sit in a couch and ssh into your local cluster?

Regarding this poll, it is intended that you cast one vote for type of machine, and another in which OS you are primarily using. I am also curious to hear of you use multiple machines and/or use virtual machines on a frequent basis.

Topic author

Jakob

Re: Why are you using your speciffic laptop/OS

Post by Jakob » Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:33 am

I have personally been using Ubuntu Linux since early 2009, started out on lenovo x200 which I guess could be classified as ultra-book. I have hence switched it out for a more powerful lenovo T430, still running Ubuntu Linux, which is great for all the software I need.

I switch between 3 different work locations + occasionally sitting in a library, so I like being able to work locally (I swapped the optical drive for a large hdd)
Usually, I write my scripts in a local git repo, which is synced for backup, and doubles as a way to copy my work into clusters for running more challenging tasks.

/Jakob

pmeysman
Former SC Leader
Former SC Leader
Current Country/Location: Belgium

Post by pmeysman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:44 pm

I've been using a macbook pro since the beginning of 2013. The reason being that I started working in a lab where almost everyone had a macbook. (Before this I always used Dell's with Linux VMs.)

I do a lot of work on the train (my train commute is a good 1.5 hours a day). And for this a macbook is amazing: long battery life combined with fast startup/shutdown and efficient track pad controls.
In my office, I connect to an external hd that takes a backup every 1 hour. Most computations I do locally (though I keep it wired then), and the intensive stuff I run on a linux computational cluster through ssh.

Macbook downsides: having to remember a connector for presentations, counter intuitive folder and window management (in my opinion, but I have apps to fix most of the 'strange' behaviour) and really expensive replacement parts.
But I think it will be hard for me if I ever have to switch back to Windows/Linux.
Pieter Meysman
Former SC Chair (2015-2016)
Postdoc @ University of Antwerp, Belgium

danfdeblasio
ISCB BoD Rep.
Current Country/Location: USA

Post by danfdeblasio » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:20 pm

I have been using OSX since 2005 (I bought an iBook in undergrad).

Most of my work is done on an HPC via SSH, but I test everything locally on my MBP which allows me to have access to a mostly linux terminal. In the office and at home I have multiple external monitors so I feel like I am working at a full terminal. I use only a laptop so I can have the same environment wherever I work.

I make hourly backups when I am home, and have two large networked hard drives to use while I am there.

I agree that the adaptor thing is a drag but I have been doing it so long I rarely forget it. Also new MacBooks have HDMI which most new presentation systems also have. The periodic replacement cost is a drag, but I am too used to switch I think. I have tried to switch back to Windows for a couple months and didn't like it.
Dan DeBlasio
ISCB-SC Representative to the ISCB Board of Directors.
ISCB-SC Web Committee, Member
Computational Biology Department
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA, USA