[Q/A] Why there is no regional groups from my area?

Topic author

imehedi
Chair, Web Committee

[Q/A] Why there is no regional groups from my area?

Post by imehedi » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:21 pm

If this board does not have a RSG from your region then it is more likely that there is no regional group affiliated with ISCBSC in your region. It is also possible that, the RSG in your region is no longer active.

The smartest move will be to get in contact with the RSG committee of the student council, at rsg@iscbsc.org.

More information available from here: http://iscbsc.org/rsg
Cheers,
@imehedi
ISCB-SC Web Committee, co-Chair
Founder & Former Chair, ISCB-SC Regional Student Group - UK
School of Computing & Mathematics,
University of South Wales, United Kingdom

pmeysman
Former SC Leader
Former SC Leader
Current Country/Location: Belgium

Re: [Q/A] Why there is no regional groups from my area?

Post by pmeysman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:52 am

Hi everyone,

Please note that not all RSG have a dedicated forum on this community board. Some have their own website with accompanying forum and others have chosen not to use the community board.

If you want a forum on this community board for your region, have the President or Secretary of your RSG contact the ISCB-SC web team at web@iscbsc.org. We will then active your forum as soon as possible.
Pieter Meysman
Former SC Chair (2015-2016)
Postdoc @ University of Antwerp, Belgium

Adrian
Current Country/Location: Argentina

Post by Adrian » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:02 pm

A spanish subforum for all the students from latin america would be nice! How could we achieve that?

gparra
Current Country/Location: Argentina

Post by gparra » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:48 pm

Dear Adrian,

Right now, we have a Latin America facebook page with almost 300 members and specific pages for each RSG in the region. In my opinion a Spanish forum would leave Brasil out, which is contrary to the policy we are applying right now in the region with the existent RSGs (Argentina, Brasil, Chile, Mexico) where we are trying to nurture strong bonds among the students in the continent.

We were discussing how useful a google group for Latin America would be, like the one we have in Argentina.. And we still did not solve that question since there are several other available platforms for communication.

Although Brasil is a non Spanish speaking country, users can post their opinions, questions and so on, in the facebook page, in Spanish and those able to answer will do it without too much trouble.

I consider the structure in the Student Council needs to reflect a special need and a Latin American Spanish speaking group does not fit how the structure of the SC is planned right now.. also because we should maybe consider to include Spain in that forum, like an Iberoamerican (except Brasil) forum.. but again.. why should we leave Brasil out?

Best

Gonzalo
R. Gonzalo Parra
RSG Vice Chair for Latin America
EMBO Postdoctoral Researcher
Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry
Goettingen, Germany